Politics: Tillerson pledged to keep up the ‘maximum pressure’ campaign on North Korea — but offered them a way out
US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson on CBS News'

The Secretary of State said he was willing to negotiate with North Korea, but would continue to pass sanctions on the country until it reached out.

  • Rex Tillerson hailed the success of the US’s North Korea strategy.
  • The Trump administration has been pursuing a “maximum pressure” approach to the Kim Jong Un regime, which Tillerson said is bearing fruit.
  • He said that the US could soften its approach — but that Pyongyang must blink first.

The US will keep up its “maximum pressure” approach on North Korea to North Korea, according to Secretary of State Rex Tillerson — but could be prepared to relent if Pyongyang blinks first.

Rex Tillerson has signalled willingness to negotiate with Kim Jong Un’s regime, but only if they go first. He also said the Trump administration’s tough approach to the regime was already bearing fruit.

The US has been “using large sticks” by way of sanctions to convince North Korea to negotiate, the Secretary of State told CBS News’ “60 Minutes” program in an interview aired on Sunday night.

Tillerson also raised the prospect of a conflict with North Korea, saying that his diplomatic efforts will continue “until the first bomb drops.”

He said:

“Well, that’s who we will have to work with to achieve this diplomatically. What we have to determine now is are we even ready to start? Are they ready to start?

“And if they’re not, we’ll just keep the pressure campaign underway and we will increase that pressure. And we are doing that every month. There are new sanctions rolled out. The world wants North Korea to change. […]

“We’re not using a carrot to convince them to talk. We’re using large sticks. And that is what they need to understand. This pressure campaign is putting — is having its bite on North Korea, its revenue streams. It’s having a bite on its military programs. […]

“I’m gonna use all the time available to me our diplomatic efforts will continue until that first bomb drops. My job is to never have a reason for the first bomb to drop. And we don’t know precisely how much time is left on the clock.”

Tillerson discusses North Korea around 0:58 into the video below.

The US Treasury Department and UN Security Council have passed multiple rounds of sanctions on entities, individuals, and companies affiliated with the North Korean regime over the past year.

North Korean vessels have been accused of violating them at least three times since September, however.

Tillerson’s message echoes that of Vice President Mike Pence, who told The Washington Post last week that the US was pursuing a policy of “maximum pressure and engagement at the same time” with Pyongyang.

Members of the Trump administration has contradicted each other on North Korea in the past. Three weeks ago, Trump used his State of the Union address to called North Korea a “cruel dictatorship” embarking on a “reckless pursuit of nuclear missiles.”

Tillerson told “60 Minutes” that North Korea “will tell me” when they want to talk, because “we receive messages from them.”

He added that North Korea’s threats to nuke the US mainland “does make us nervous, [but] it also stiffens our resolve.”

The US is reportedly considering a “bloody nose” strike on North Korea, in which it responds to the next North Korean missile or nuclear test with a limited military strike that would embarrass Kim Jong Un. State Department officials and senators have rejected those claims.

Powered by WPeMatico

Related posts:

News Reporter

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *